Mt. Penn Fire Company

Carbon monoxide alarm in Mt. Penn

On December 24th just before noon Mt. Penn was dispatched along with Lower Alsace (Co4) to 103 N. 23rd St. in the Boro for a report of a carbon monoxide alarm with symptoms.  Arriving crews found high levels, over 100 ppm (parts per million)  at that address.  On checking the neighboring property at 101 N. 23rd they found readings of over 250 ppm in the basement and first floor.  All occupants were evaluated on the scene by EMS personnel from Squad 555 (Lower Alsace EMS).  Further investigation found that the high readings were caused by a blocked chimney at 101 N. 23rd.  The furnace was secured until the owner could make arrangements for cleaning.  Units were able to return just before 1p.m.

We ask that you please call 911 if your carbon monoxide alarm goes off, regardless of the time of day or night so we can investigate.  This type of incident can quickly turn tragic.  Please have your furnace and fireplace cleaned and serviced annually.  The same goes for your chimney to ensure it is clean and not blocked.  Change the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector when you change the batteries in your smoke detector.

 

Similar posts

Mt. Penn Fire Company

Phone 610-779-6723

Department Activity

Summary of department activity
2022
MonthTotal
January0
February0
March0
April0
May0
June0
July0
August0
September0
October0
November0
December0
Totals0
Working Fires0


Previous Years

2021208
2020582
2019656
2018553

Our Mission

The mission of the Mt. Penn Fire Company is to protect the lives and property of the people of Mt Penn from fires, natural disasters, and hazardous materials incidents; to save lives by providing Rescue services; to prevent fires through prevention and education programs; and to provide a 100% Volunteer work environment that values health, wellness and cultural diversity and is free of harassment and discrimination.

Login